Homemade Strawberry Jam
Makes 4-5 jars
1 kg strawberies
500 g (2 cups) sugar
1. Place the strawberries in a colander and rinse under cold water. Remove the stems.
2. Empty the colander into a large saucepan or wok. Add the sugar, and leave to macerate for 3 hours.
3. Stir the strawberries over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Bring the strawberries to a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and leave for 6-8 hours (to keep the strawberries whole).
5. Put the pan back on the heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the jam has thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. In the meantime, sterilize the jam jars: wash the jars and lids, and place them upside down on a wire rack over a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes.
7. When the jam is ready, carefully remove the jars and lids from the rack with a towel. Ladle the hot jam into the hot jars, and tightly screw on the lids.