Homemade Strawberry Jam
Makes 4-5 jars
- 1 kg strawberies
- 500 g (2 cups) sugar
- Place the strawberries in a colander and rinse under cold water. Remove the stems.
- Empty the colander into a large saucepan or wok. Add the sugar, and leave to macerate for 3 hours.
- Stir the strawberries over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the strawberries to a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and leave for 6-8 hours (to keep the strawberries whole).
- Put the pan back on the heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the jam has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, sterilize the jam jars: wash the jars and lids, and place them upside down on a wire rack over a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- When the jam is ready, carefully remove the jars and lids from the rack with a towel. Ladle the hot jam into the hot jars, and tightly screw on the lids.
What a great and simple recipe, thank you for posting! My grams use to make jam just like this 🙂
Glad you like it. Enjoy!
I remember strawberry jam when I lived in Turkmenistan….would eat it by the spoonful at breakfast. Thank you for posting this and all the recipes!!