Kelem Dolamasy – Cabbage Rolls
6 cabbage leaves
For the filling:
- 500 g ground beef or lamb
- 1 onion, ground or finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ l (6 cups) water
- Cut off the thick part of the stem of each leaf. Put the leaves in a large pot, cover with water, and put a lid on the pot. Boil over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a bowl. Divide the filling mixture into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece between your palms into a ball.
- Spread out a leaf on a cutting board. Place a meatball on the soft end of the leaf, fold the leaf over the meatball, then fold in the sides and roll it up. Continue until all the leaves are filled.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and tomatoes, fry for 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Place the cabbage rolls in the pot. Throw in the potatoes, and add the salt and water. Cover the rolls with a plate (so that they don’t float around and unravel). Put a lid on the pot and bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with yogurt, if desired.