Kelem Dolamasy – Cabbage Rolls
6 cabbage leaves
For the filling:
500 g ground beef or lamb
1 onion, ground or finely chopped
5 tablespoons rice
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
For the soup:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
2 teaspoons salt
1½ l (6 cups) water
1. Cut off the thick part of the stem of each leaf. Put the leaves in a large pot, cover with water, and put a lid on the pot. Boil over high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a bowl. Divide the filling mixture into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece between your palms into a ball.
3. Spread out a leaf on a cutting board. Place a meatball on the soft end of the leaf, fold the leaf over the meatball, then fold in the sides and roll it up. Continue until all the leaves are filled.
4. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and tomatoes, fry for 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
5. Place the cabbage rolls in the pot. Throw in the potatoes, and add the salt and water. Cover the rolls with a plate (so that they don’t float around and unravel). Put a lid on the pot and bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with yogurt, if desired.