Kädili Gutap – Butternut Squash Gutap
Makes 10 gutaps
For the filling:
1 kg butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the dough:
1 teaspoon salt
300 ml (1⅕ cups) warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
500 g (3⅓ cups) flour
1. For the filling, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the squash and onion to the pot, and stir well to coat with the oil. Put a lid on the pot and cook until the squash is tender.
2. Add the salt and pepper to the cooked squash, and mash the squash with a wooden spoon.
3. In a large bowl, mix all the dough ingredients together and work to a soft dough. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll each piece between your palms into a ball. Cover the dough balls with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Place a pan over medium heat. Working with one ball of dough at a time, sprinkle some flour on the dough and roll it out to a circle of about 20 cm in diameter. Spread about 4 tablespoons of the filling over half of the circle, leaving a thin border. Fold the other half over to form a half-moon shape and press down along the edge to seal. Prick all over the top with a fork.
5. Place the gutap in the hot pan and cook, flipping once, until browned in spots on both sides. While one gutap is cooking, prepare the next one. Butternut squash gutap is best served after it has cooled down.