Potato Boats (Kartoşka Gaýyk)
Makes 6 potato boats
- 3 large unpeeled potatoes, halved lengthwise
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ⅓ teaspoon dried mint
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large cucumber, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Wrap each potato half in foil. Bake at 250°C (482°F) on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave the potatoes in the oven for another 20-25 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon, gently scoop out the potato flesh (save the flesh for another use, like mashed potatoes). Deep-fry the potato skins in preheated oil, turning once, until browned on both sides. Transfer the browned potato skins to a plate and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, stir the sour cream, garlic, pepper flakes and dried mint together.
- In another bowl, combine the chopped vegetables and herbs. Add the salt and lemon juice, and toss it all together.
- Add a dollop of the sour cream dressing to each potato skin, and then fill them up with the salad. Serve right away.