Wheat Groat Porridge (Ýarma)
- 500 g bony lamb / beef cuts
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2.5 l (10 cups) water
- 50 ml (1/5 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 500 g (2 cups) wheat groats
- Put the meat in a stewpot with ½ tablespoon of salt and 1.5 liters of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off the foam as it forms. Reduce the heat to medium and put the lid on the pot. Boil until the meat is tender. Take out the cooked meat and remove the meat off the bones.
- Heat the oil in another large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until soft. Add the cooked meat and stir for a few seconds. Add the broth and the remaining 1 liter of water and ½ tablespoon of salt. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat.
- Rinse the groats and add them to the boiling soup. After 10 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 50 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the groats from sticking to the bottom. If the groats become too thick, add a bit more water. Do a taste test and add more salt if needed. Serve right away.