This recipe comes from my Iraqi Turkmen friend Sheyma. Thanks Sheyma!
Red Lentil Soup (Merjimek Çorbasy)
- 200 g (1 cup) red lentils
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1½ l (6 cups) water
- 1 tablespoon filini (short-cut angel hair pasta)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch dried mint (optional)
In a medium-sized pot, heat the oil and saute the onion slices until soft. Stir in the finely chopped garlic, add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Rinse the lentils and stir them into the soup. Cook over high heat for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, roast the filini in a dry pan, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Stir them into the soup 2 minutes before turning off the heat under the soup. Sprinkle each bowl with dried mint.