Palaw – Turkmen Pilaf
- 1 kg chicken/turkey/lamb/beef
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 300 ml (1⅕ cups) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 5 large carrots, julienned
- 1 l + 375 ml (5½ cups) water
- 1 kg (4½ cups) basmati rice, rinsed
- Cut the meat into mouthful chunks. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and mix well with your hand.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the meat chunks and fry until lightly browned. Add the onion. When the onion begins to soften, add the carrots and fry for 5 minutes. Add the water and remaining salt, and increase the heat. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir with a perforated spoon. When the rice begins to absorb the water, lower the heat to medium and cover the pot. Steam the rice for 30 minutes, stirring once in between. Serve warm.